Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Anguilla - Menu and Overview

This is my seventh meal on my family's challenge to cook our way around the globe.

We cooked this back on March 1st, but then I got sick and then we sold our home and then we moved...  So, I've been a little bit busy.  This was by far the easiest meal I've done and I think right up there as one of my favorites.  It's right up there with Afghanistan.  It's also the only meal that I've made multiple times (minus the cornbread).



The menu:

Pineapple Cornbread
Barbecued Fish Steaks
Diced Tropical Fruit
Johnny Cakes


I was going to make a chocolate pie, but never did.  I think that if I were to cook this meal again, I'd ditch the cornbread and add the chocolate pie.  I still haven't made it, but I hope to one day!

Overview:

Pineapple Cornbread
I wasn't impressed.  I had an open mind.  But, alas, this didn't quite live up to my hopes.

Barbecued Fish Steaks
Orange on fish?  Really?  Wow! Yes, please!  This was amazing.  I'd never have thought that the flavors would go so well, but they did.   It was also super easy to prepare.  It would have been better on the grill, but was still wonderful pan seared.

Diced Tropical Fruit
I'm not sure how authentic this is.  But all the fruits are locally grown.  This was my second week in a row having papaya in the house.  It's officially the baby's favorite fruit.  He squeals with delight when he sees it.  It's almost the same sound that he makes when he sees me at the end of the day so I know that he really loves papaya.

Johnny Cakes
These were magic.  I love bread.  I love fried things.  So it wasn't hard to win me over.  It also wasn't too hard to make.  Pete suggested that we dust it with powdered sugar, but it's not really that sweet.  It's a little sweeter than your average dinner roll or biscuit, but not something that I'd call dessert or anything.  I had these all week for breakfast spread with jam.  Yummy.


As you can see, I had a lot going on and a very messy counter.  This is why I had to take a bit of a hiatus.


But, Zander misses the fun international flavors.  The papaya won him over.  And the Johnny Cakes.

He's so little there.  It was 4 months ago so he was only 9 months old.  It's crazy how fast he's growing up!  Now he's 13 months and all over the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment