In Antigua & Barbuda they have their own kind of Johnny Cake. It's very interesting with an almond flavor. These are usually enjoyed for breakfast, but it's not wrong to eat them for dinner. If something tastes this good how could it ever be wrong?
Bajan Bakes (Johnny Cakes, Barbuda style)
Ingredients3 3/4 cups flour
1 T baking powder
3 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 T almond essence
3/4 to 1 cup water
- Shift flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Make a little well in the center and add the water slowly, mixing until not sticky.
- Kneed for about 5-10 minutes and make into a smooth ball. If the dough is sticking to your hands too much, that means that you added too much water in step two, so add a bit of flour.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a strip and then cut into about 18 smaller pieces. Roll each piece into a ball then flatten with your fingers.
- Heat oil in a pan until it feels uncomfortably warm when you hold your hand over the pan.
- Fry 2-3 minutes per side. I did 6 at a time.