This is a wonderful vegetarian dish and could very easily be a main if you don't do meat. All the flavors went together amazingly and everyone enjoyed assembling their cakes.
IngredientsBlack Bean Cakes
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 t cumin
- 1 T dice jalapeno
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 T EVOO
- 1 small serano pepper
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 T EVOO
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lemon
- Start with the yogurt sauce. Mix the yogurt with the cilantro and the juice of the half lemon. Put in fridge.
- Now on to the salsa. Halve the tomatoes and roughly chop the 1/2 white onion and the serano pepper. Drizzle with 1T olive oil ake at 425 for about 10 or 15 minutes.
- Put the veggies in a pot and just cover with water. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender (or carefully transfer to a regular blender, blend, then replace).
- Simmer while you make the bean cakes.
- Rinse the beans. Put in a food processor (I just used my immersion blender again) with the 1/2 cup diced onion, jalapeno and cumin. Process until it's a paste.
- Mix in the egg to the bean paste mixture.
- Make balls from the bean paste mixture (about 2 T per ball) and roll in the cornmeal.
- Heat up the olive oil. Saute the bean cakes about three minutes each side.
- Serve topped with the salsa and yogurt.