Stew! Who doesn't love a nice stew? And I'm a sucker for lamb. Nam nam nam. And I used goat yogurt in this, which was pretty exciting to me as I've never cooked with goat yogurt.
This was really good. I'd never heard of a yogurt based soup before. It reminded me a little of Indian cuisine, but that's probably due to the spices.
Unfortunately I did not snap a picture of this. Which is really too bad because it turned out amazing. The color was an orangey shade.
Ingredients:2 1/2 pounds lamb stew meat
1/3 cup olive oil
3 onions, diced
3 T chopped garlic
2 t turmeric
1 t garam masala (optional)
1/2 t cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
32 oz canned tomatoes, chopped
2 cup beef stock
3 T tomato paste
1 cup Greek or goat yogurt
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- Brown the onions in the oil (about 15 minutes)
- Add the spices (garlic, turmeric, masala, cinnamon if using ground) and cook 2 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, their juices and the tomato paste
- Add the lamb and cook 4 minutes, until the sides are browned. This will lock in the flavor of the lamb while it simmers.
- Add the water, yogurt and cinnamon stick if using. Stir every 15 minutes for about two hours. I prepared the Noni Afgahni and read Honey Thief because I was lucky that it coincided with one of the baby's naps!
- Serve with rice and Noni Afghani.