But, it's completely worth it!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (whole is probably best, but I used 2%)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (3/8 cup), melted +plus more for greasing the pan
- 8 oz bryndza, crumbled
- 8 oz sulguni, shredded
- Combine flour, salt and eggs and stir until well mixed. Add the milk and kneed until a ball is formed.
- Cover and let rest for at least 30 minutes
- Combine cheeses in a bowl and mix well.
- Butter a 9x13 pan.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Flour well, and, with a pasta machine, roll each piece to the next-to-finest setting to be approximately the size of your pan.
- Cook one pasta sheet in salted boiling water for 1 minute, shock in ice water, pat dry with paper towels, then place in the pan (cut off excess dough).
- Put 1/4 of the cheese on top of this layer.
- Do the next layer and pour 1/4 of the butter.
- Keep going layer, cheese, layer, butter until you've used up all the layers.
- You can cook right away or prepare up to a day in advance.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, then finish under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Removing from my cold water and getting ready to set into the pan.
Setting it into the pan
This is how I poured the butter on.