This is very reminiscent of Huevos Rancheros. I didn't serve ours with eggs since it was a side, but next time I will make it with eggs.
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 t coriander
- 1 onion (either yellow, white or red), diced
- 6 tomatoes, skin removed (optional) and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, skin removed (optional) and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, skin removed (optional) and diced
- 1 cup water or broth
- 4 eggs (optional, if you want to be vegan, obviously no eggs)
- Saute the onions, garlic, coriander and cumin in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and saute 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for at least 15 minutes. Add water or broth to keep from drying out.
- If you are using eggs, make four small indentations in your Chakchouka and drop the eggs in. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- Serve with couscous or bread.