Dry, but refreshing. This was a great cake and paired really well with the port that our friends brought in "honor" of the 400 year Portuguese rule.
Be really careful with the caramel. I accidentally touched it and got a really bad blister on my thumb.
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tin of pineapple
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (3/4 cup)
- Make carmel by cook 1 cup of the sugar in a pan over medium high heat. Stir constantly. It will start being clumpy and you'll know that you are on the right track. It's done when it's perfect smooth and caramel colored.
- Pour your caramel into a metal ring mould.
- Line the sides and base of the mould with the pinapple.
- Shift the flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and remaining sugar (1 1/2 cup) together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture.
- Pour into the ring mould.
- Bake at 350F for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the ring mould. Marvel at how pretty it is.
- Once cool, cut and enjoy.