Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Recipe - Fumbwa (Greens with Peanut Butter)



This is an African greens and peanuts dish and is made throughout most of central Africa. Traditionally this is made with the greens that grow wild in the region, but I used kale.  Usually I'm more of a collards girl, but, weirdly, I could not find collards at Whole Foods.  I did find some frozen ones.  I mean, I found collards at Jewel just last week.  So I used kale, which turned out just fine!



Fumbwa

Ingredients:


  • 1+ pounds greens (I would have prefered collards, but I used kale)
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup plus a couple T red palm oil


Directions:


  1. In a large pot, boil the green until they are tender.  The kale took about 30 minutes, but it could be more or less depending upon the greens you picked.
  2. Reserve about two cups of the boiling water, but drain the rest. Keep the greens in the stainer for a moment. 
  3. Saute the leeks in some red palm oil for about 7 or 8 minutes.
  4. Add the fish and tomatoes with the leeks and saute for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the greens back to the pan.  Let simmer while in another dish you mix the peanut butter with enough of the reserved water to make a smooth sauce.
  6. Add this to the greens.
  7. Top with the rest of the red palm oil.


References:


No comments:

Post a Comment