This is a bit like an Andorran "Bubbles and Squeak". The name comes from the Catalan word trinxar, which means "to slice".
You can add sauteed mushrooms and/or shredded cheese to this dish. Just add them when you add the garlic.
- 1 green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled, not diced.
- 1 package bacon, diced
- 4 T minced garlic
- olive oil
- In a large pot, boil the cabbage in salted water for 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook until they are tender, another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain then return to pot. Mash with the garlic.
- In a skillet that can also go in the oven, saute the bacon until well cooked.
- Press the potato cabbage mixture onto the bacon and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Place under the broiler until it's golden brown, another 3 to 5 minutes. If your pan cannot go in the broiler, either carefully flip the Trinxat and cook the other side, or slide it onto a pan that can go into the broiler.
- Put on serving dish, bacon side up.