Pages

Monday, September 21, 2015

Recipe - Lavash

Man cannot live on bread alone.  But, I could come close.  I especially love flat bread!  This made a ton.  I could have halved the recipe.  There are a couple types of Lavash.  This one is more chewy than soft and isn't a wrap.

Lavash

Ingredients

8 cups flour
1 T salt
1 T baking powder
2 T sugar
2 sticks butter
3 cups warm water

Directions

  1. Shift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
  2. Melt the butter and add to the dry ingredients.
  3. Add most of the water.  It was really humid when I made this so I actually only needed 2 cups. Depending on how dry you are, you'll probably need closer to 3.
  4. Mix until the spoon just isn't doing it for you anymore and start to kneed until smooth and elastic.
  5. Divide dough into 6 pieces (or 3 if you halved this)


  6. Repeat the following for all balls:
    1. Roll into something about 16x12 (cookie sheet size)
    2. Fold the dough in thirds one way then thirds the other.


  7. Preheat oven to 425.
  8. Repeat the following for all balls:
    1. Roll packet to fit onto a 16x12 cookie sheet (ungreased), place it on the cookie sheet.  I had two trays going at the same time and I put my cookie sheet on one.  Not required.


    2. Brush with the egg wash.
    3. Bake on lower oven rack for about 10 minutes then move to the top for 5. (the original recipe said 15 bottom, 10 top, but this was the best for me and my oven)
    4. I actually put the next bread in to the bottom when I moved the prior to the top.
    5. Cut each sheet into 12 pieces.  I used a pizza cutter.

    References

No comments:

Post a Comment